My dad's family is from the Finger Lakes region of New York state. More mid-state than upstate, Interlaken is a tiny village; it's not featured on all NY maps. Both of my beloved grandparents are buried there. I've been there maybe three times ever, but lately, I've been wanting to go back. Probably because billions of solid gold memories have been forged there. And then there's the curiosity. My uncle Steve is staying in my grandparent's home. I haven't talked to him in like 15 years. How is he? How is the house? Is he being plagued by the 'goddamn woodchucks'? (Inside joke. With my grandmother, even. Bless.)
Dad, being the difficult, strange, paranoid isolationist that he is, hasn't been helpful filling in the huge blanks of our family history. I would never accuse him of it, but I believe that he doesn't want us to connect with the larger part of the family. I'm sure his reasons are utterly ridiculous. I mean, there was a family reunion & we weren't informed of it until it was way too late. I can't imagine what our relatives must think of that. Anyway, my sister & I have decided to go around his back & reach out.
A few years ago, our second cousin, Kim, entered his name on a hugely popular search engine. He found KMHD instead, so he dropped her an email that was all "Hey there!" and sent us a few of his band's cd. Nothing really came of it, but I figured he'd be a good start to get our foot in the door. Early this week, I sent him an email asking if we could come visit & explore ye olde stomping grounds of dad, his siblings, & our grandparents. The very next day, I got a most positive response. Of course we could come! The family is stoked! What an opportunity!
It looks like we won't be able to head up that way until next year, but I can hardly wait. This is farm country, not the big city. Amish communities abound! In my memory, it's very cool, green & plush.
The dude has got good form!

Yeah, last week, we got one more swim sesh in with Seth. He made killer sriracha bread that almost derailed my self-improvement plan. (Seth, I promise, that's not a back-handed compliment! Just the normal kind.) See & wish for smell-o-vision:

Recipe here. Seth added the extras on top, so if yours doesn't turn out like the photo, then you're doin' it wrong. It goes well with everything. Soup. Mozz w/ basil & ripe tom. Balsamic vinegar reduction. Your mom.
I'm trying not to bug out about finding a home to buy as we haven't even hit the rough patch yet, but I am feeling I-L-L about the whole mess. Can I get that beach countdown going?

Yeah, last week, we got one more swim sesh in with Seth. He made killer sriracha bread that almost derailed my self-improvement plan. (Seth, I promise, that's not a back-handed compliment! Just the normal kind.) See & wish for smell-o-vision:

Recipe here. Seth added the extras on top, so if yours doesn't turn out like the photo, then you're doin' it wrong. It goes well with everything. Soup. Mozz w/ basil & ripe tom. Balsamic vinegar reduction. Your mom.
I'm trying not to bug out about finding a home to buy as we haven't even hit the rough patch yet, but I am feeling I-L-L about the whole mess. Can I get that beach countdown going?
No comments:
Post a Comment